Korg Monotribe ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg Monotribe ?

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:23 am

asstronaut wrote:The irony.
My apologies, I didn't realise this was your thread. As you were.

haj

Post by haj » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:28 am

masstronaut wrote:Forget that, what about my question?
That's not polite. You must've felt a need to evacuate your bowels or something.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 am

Ashe37 - you can look at whatever waveforms you like. Who would stop you? I'm just curious about what monotron users see.

I'll try and post some images later.

The triangle I am calling the Bizarre Love Triangle. Or less charitably, the Unholy Mountain.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 am

Nannerfan wrote:Sweet.. that's settled.

So anyone figure out how to turn off the OSC yet? So this thing can be a useful sequencer/filter?
Someone posted a video of a workaround to do this a while back, not sure where exactly so instead of trying to google it I just recreated it on my monotribe. It basically uses the LFO to boost the VCO up out of the audio range so you can use the filter on the audio in without hear the VCO, it doesn't actually turn the VCO off.

The downside of this is that if you use the LFO to modulate the filter you have to be careful of your settings to not let the VCO drop back down into the range below what you're filtering out, but you can figure out what will work with a bit of trial and error. You can still gate the audio with the VCA though. You also get a bit of intermodulation of the input audio from the VCO even when you're not hearing the VCO, so fiddle around with that to minimise it as much as possible. I found the triangle waveform had the least audible artifacts, you may find different.

These are the settings you need to start off with:

VCO Octave: 2'
Wave: Triangle gave me the least artifacts on the incoming audio when I was doing it, but play around with the others to see what works for you.
Range: Narrow or Key
VCF settings: whatever you want for filtering your audio
EG: Gate (the square one)
LFO Rate: Start with it all the way down, that is anti-clockwise
LFO Int: Start all the way up, ie clockwise
LFO Target: VCO for straight filtering, use VCO + VCF if you want to use the LFO on the filter but beware that dropping the Int level and rate down to the point that it's doing things to the filter rather than just holding it open can cause the VCO to be heard in some settings. Having cutoff below 10 or 11 o'clock seems to keep it from coming through.
LFO Mode: 1 shot
LFO Wave: Square

Once you've got those settings record a sequence holding the highest note you can, it'll hold the VCA open and let the the audio input be heard. Play around with the LFO settings to see what you can get to work, I've gotten a few cool things working but then sometimes you end up with the VCO bleeding through.

One other thing I noticed is that the output seems noisier when there are less LEDs lit up, it's pretty noisy all the time but playing with the drums seemed to make it worse.
masstronaut wrote:Curious to know how other monotribe users find the raw waveforms. The triangle wave seemed much buzzier than expected and looking at it it rises to a peak then there's a steep drop off to about 2/3 amplitude followed by a decay more like the rise angle. The square also - the top edge has a steady decline and the bottom rises. Is that just how it is? The rawness is fine for what it is but a shame not to have a cleaner triangle without filtering it - it's more like a jagged mountain wave.
Think of the triangle waveform as the triangle-saw that lots of Moog synths have. More useful for subtractive synthesis, plus it's Moooooooog so it has to be cool. ;)

I don't tend to spend a great deal of time looking at waveforms but I do know that the 303 square acts like you're describing the Monotribe one does. Every VCO has its own little quirks, that's why people like some of them more than others. The Monotribe is incredibly good, far better than it should be at that price new, so I personally don't really care if its waveforms aren't platonic squares and triangles. :thumbleft:

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:19 am

haj wrote:What was the survey question? I missed it.
I don't recall exactly but I think it was mostly about 'what do you like about the monotribe', 'what would you like to see in future products' and 'what other things do you own'.
masstronaut wrote:Forget that, what about my question?
That's pretty rude. Apologies if you weren't intending to come across that way, but you did.

Anyway, back to our regular programming. Here's me messing around with running some Chromatics through the Monotribe using the techniques I described earlier, then drowning the result in delay as is my custom.

As you can hear, it works.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 am

Stab makes the same point i was trying to make.. if you want perfect platonic triangles and squares, i can point out some fine Synthedit creations that have them, or some early 80s digital synths...

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Who cares what it sounds like, that's just weird.

Of course it was because the triangle sounds not so dissimilar to the saw that I had a look. I was curious to find out if all monotribe VCOs produce a similar output. Not a comment on whether the way it is is a good or bad thing qualitatively or unusual in a VCO generally; just a simple question. Triangle-Saw makes sense.

As it happens the mt has been a great addition to my portable / improv setup. It sounds top for the moolah and lots of things about it are really spot on for the way I like to work, especially since the V2.0 upgrade. I've considered a second one and haven't even got round to doing any mods. So there's my opinion if you were wondering.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:16 pm

This is a bit of an aside, but I think the visual representations of a waveform as amplitude/time aren't the best way to describe them, amplitude/frequency graphs describe what an osc sounds like much better, although they're harder to draw on a panel graphic.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:40 pm

masstronaut wrote:Who cares what it sounds like, that's just weird.
Agreed.

Nobody buys a synth for its sound.

deeplow
Gear: bad luck brain

Post by deeplow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:48 am

i <3 thiz thing
"You can never underestimate the amount of unimaginative people out there making music." Stab Frenzy

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:38 pm

For the record, I also think the triangle is a bit buzzy and it just sounds like a quieter saw. Not really like any of my other synths' triangles.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm

That is kind of funny, because the tri sounds pretty good to me. I use it the most on that synth. And I haven't really been keeping up with this thread, but is the monotribe's osc tri based? So maybe the saw sounds like a louder tri. Just messing around, it doesn't make a difference anyway. I think I generally prefer triangle when its available on a synth, maybe I like them because they are generally less "loud."

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 pm

I was just wondering if my monotribe was being uniquely weird, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, or if I needed a different power supply or something. I do have a fondness for using "pure" triangle or sine tones sometimes though.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:16 pm

OK, for reference - here's how the various osc shapes look in Wavelab. Can you guess which is which? ;-)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Have you tried looking at the triangle waveform at different frequencies? I haven't got mine with me so I can't look at it here, but does the size of the drop change depending on if you're playing it a 32' as opposed to 2'? Might be related to the wave resetting.