vermona mono lancet ,user opinions/best patches

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

vermona mono lancet ,user opinions/best patches

Post by Factory all stars » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:03 pm

I am relatively new to synths, being firstly and foremost a guitarist ,and finally took the plunge and squared myself a mono lancet.First impressions were good,and i can get some very useable/interesting sounds out of it[tweek tweek tweek]. just wondered what opinions where out there,and if any owners could share their patch settings with this humble novice, i have searched the web,vermonas home site, google etc, so forgive me if i sound lazy.but know that experienced synth users could piss all over my sound creating skills.! Am influenced by early New Order,acid house,Isan,Tangerine Dream,Throbbing Gristle,early Human League and other minimalist atmospheric ambience.CHEERS :idea: :mrgreen:

Hair

Re: vermona mono lancet ,user opinions/best patches

Post by Hair » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Well the Mono Lancet has a pretty classic subtractive synth architechture - so open your search criteria to search for subtractive monosynth patches (or patches for classic simple subtractive synths.. Moog Rogue, SH-101, SEM etc - even the Minimoog) and see how close you can get/what you can adapt to the Lancet :]

Sound on Sound's "Synth Secrets" articles are also a great place to start getting a complete understanding of what's going on and what you can do - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm start at the bottom and work your way up.
Last edited by Hair on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 pm

I've owned one now for about 18 months. I'd been through a number of analog or analogish monosynths before it (MG-1's, Moog Source, Little Phatties, MFB Synth II and Synth Lite II, Mono Evolver, Mopho) and I have to say that it's the mono that's staying with me. That said, it has some drawbacks (no sync and the mod wheel won't affect LFO) and I'm actually on my second one (the first one had to be returned to Germany for repair and eventually Vermona just sent me another one...and the 2nd one has a small issue too but doesn't affect performance). I've felt like it really nails the Moog jones up top in spades, but I felt like I couldn't really program serious Moog basses out of it. Last month I put a hold on the Moog Minitaur for that very reason. Then two weeks ago I had a bit of a breakthrough with it. I just had to be a little more patient working with the envelope to get that twang, and now I can finally program some of the basses that were so easy to program in the Moogs I owned before. I let my preorder on the Minitaur lapse since I've learned how to get the Lancet to do what i want it to do. But the Lancet is finicky like that. The filter resonance isn't as gradual as the Moog filter either. By 50% it's started to self-oscillate. The envelopes aren't as long as the Moogs either. With attack all the way to the right it still rises faster than I think it should. Small gripes. Spend time with it. You'll be rewarded.

With this synth these days I tend to not use vibrato from the LFO so much, and put the LFO to use real slow just giving a hint of movement on the filter. But I think the real trick with getting the Lancet to produce is in the envelopes. Just my experience with it.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanx alot lads,some words of wisdom right there :)