Which Hardware Sequencer for full songs?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Which Hardware Sequencer for full songs?

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:37 am

Hallu wrote:As others have said, what you want only exists in software. Look into a decent MIDI controller to assist in working whatever program you find.
Uhh... I think a lot of hardware sequencers can do the things that he said. Including the one I mentioned. Why would you say such a thing?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:15 am

I posted a whole link full of them! "Best tool for the job guy " is staying the h**l away from software. Just get a Qx3 and be done with it.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:50 am

What about an Elektron Octatrack, which an 8-track MIDI sequencer with incredible capabilities. It's also a sampler. And an effects box. And did I mention the sequencer is awesome? :lol:

http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:01 am

To be honest the MPC is a better midi sequencer for what the OP wants to do than the OT. In fact the MPC is probably head and shoulders above most of the other options, even if you ignore its sampling capabilities.

If you want something better than the MPC then have a look at the Cirklon, but I think the MPC is the one for this. RS7000 would be good too.

glassofwater

Post by glassofwater » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:30 pm

I also think the MPC is the best tool for this job.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Especially since the op already has one! What about the mpc do you find unfavorable? Other than what was mentioned in the first post, viz.. shoddy buttons?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:22 am

doesnt the indefatigable Alesis MMT8 do this as well?
Not a new unit by a long shot, but if they are half as robubst as my HR16b is it will last forever.
I swear, old Alesis must have been made by subaru. Not the highest performance, but pretty dang solid.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Program the tracks in your computer, save the sequences as MIDI files and run them from a Roland MC-50 Mk II (has to be a Mk II) or even an Akai S5000 sampler as it as a built-in player.
GC

paturn
Gear: Quasi Midi Sirius , Waldork Pulse 2 , Korg es-1 , MPC500 , lots of random circuit bent and other wise modded gear .
Band: Morlox, Syphilis Sauna

Post by paturn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Ive done whole albums with a mmt8 + mpc 500 . Definitely do NOT need software to have a kick a*s midi sequencer .

ChuckFalcon
Gear: Roland Promars MRS-2
Vox Continental
Mellotron M4000D
Roland Juno 60
Moog Theremini
Roland Juno 106
Akai MPC 1000
Band: Chuck Falcon

Post by ChuckFalcon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the good advice! I played my first show last week with my current setup and it went really well. The MPC 1000, Moog LP, and Juno 106 did just what they needed to do and it sounded great.

I think that I may be interested in the idea of programming my tracks on a cpu first and them to a rack sequencer. It would probably be a better work flow maybe? I currently have Logic Pro X. This is probably a dumb question but could I use it to make midi happen and then send it to my MPC or other sequencer if/when I get one? Again, I am new to the world of music and electronics. I have always been a guitar/amp/effects type guy.

The thing about the MPC is that I guess I am not really using it for what it is designed for essentially and I was wondering if there was something out there that was better suited for my uses. I AM a fan of vintage gear. From what I have looked at and you all have mentioned, I really like the Yamaha QX3, the RM1x, and the Akai S5000.

In show formats I have to set up and tear down very quickly so that is why I was wanting a rack sequencer. Currently I have to set up 2 tables, 2 keyboards, a sequencer, guitar amp, pedals, guitar and then run cables to them all. It can take some time.

Soooooo, to cut down on time I have been looking into some rack gear. I recently ordered a Novation A Station to handle my polyphonic stuff (I currently use the Juno 106 for that), I have a Warp Facory Vocoder, I wanna get a slim phatty for bass, and have all that in the rack. I thought that it may also be cool to get one of those racks that have a space on top that was meant for a mixer and mount my MPC 1000 to it instead. Not sure how I would do this, but if I did have all this set up this way, it would cut down a good 10 mins of my setup time.

Whew, sorry so much. A lot of gear shiz on my mind.

paturn
Gear: Quasi Midi Sirius , Waldork Pulse 2 , Korg es-1 , MPC500 , lots of random circuit bent and other wise modded gear .
Band: Morlox, Syphilis Sauna

Post by paturn » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Ive had some success recording MIDI directly into my mpc from my DAW (exact same functionality as the MMt8 in many ways ) The cool thing about the MPC is that it can hold a whole bunch more MIDI information in general and using track unmutes you can also do really easy build ups etc by putting each instruments MIDI on a different sequencer track on the MPC . . Im sure there has to be people out there who have rack mounted their MPCS .. Id suggest looking on the MPC forums I seem to remember there being a custom mpc thread .. Hope that Helps !

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:59 pm

you can always get a sliding rack shelf. SKB and mid atlantic make models. Though it will take up about 3RU for even a small unit like a drum machine usually.

As far as getting midi files into a unit. You should be able to do this by system exclusive bulk dump.
there is this little page I had bookmarked
http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries ... re-updates

it varies form product to product how to do this, but for midi sequencers, especially ones form the 80's and 90's it is expected that you would be able to transmit a file to the unit from your midi librarian with all the note, tempo etc info. Though of course some units just used disks.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:47 pm

E-mu Proteus 2500 http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/p2500.php
"The Proteus 2500 features a built-in 16-track MIDI sequencer, with 16 MIDI channels per track! It offers both linear and pattern based recording, real or step time, analog grid/drum machine style programming and more. Unlike the Proteus 2000, the 2500 has 24-bit DAC outputs instead of 16-bit, for enhanced sound quality. The MIDI processors have also been redesigned and are three times more efficient now than on the Proteus 2000! The 2500 has six audio outputs, S/PDIF digital output and a USB port. This is the most powerful Proteus ever, and will likely be E-mu's flagship synthesizer module for quite some time!"