Mixing Headphones

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
sandwich

Mixing Headphones

Post by sandwich » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:09 pm

Hi all,

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this question here as its regarding headphones and not synths? (Although it is about recording synths and electronic equipment).

I know headphones are not best to mix on but on those occasions when you have no choice, what models would you recommend? I currently have a pair of Beyer DT150's which I've had for decades that are now falling to to bits. I've always thought they were great for tracking & recording but they're not the best for mixing. Any recommendations for mixing would be great, thanks.

Kind Regards
Dave

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Mixing Headphones

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:15 pm

German Maestro GMP 400:

https://www.german-maestro.de/Englisch/ ... eadphones/

I've been using these and their predecessors -- the MB Quartphone 90 and 95 -- for the past 25 years now due to the rooms in which I record and mix. They have never let me down.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:00 am

Thanks Stephen, I'll check those out ;)

Kind Regards
Dave

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:07 pm

I used to use DT-150. You can definitely mix on them. But mine wore out, just like yours. The bass went completely.

I use Sennnheiser HD25ii now. Bought them originally for location recording. They cut out external sound very well, so perfect for monitoring the microphone signal. Hurts your ears after 45 mins so not ideal for studio. Accurate sound, but lumpy in the bass.

Audio Technica M20X are superb. Excellent detail, very comfortable. The price is unbelievable. The sound leaks out but that's fine for studio mixing.

I use Sonarworks with the Senn's. With this on I can get mixes that translate perfectly. I would recommend it, regardless of what headphones you pick- just check Sonarworks has a profile for them.

https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/reviews ... ne-review/

These Beyerdynamics are more comfy than the Audio Technicas and a little more accurate. But to my ears these is not much between them.
https://www.sonarworks.com/blog/reviews ... ne-review/

I see the GMP are supported. Wow, they are far from flat! Quite a hype in the upper mids.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Thanks very much for that info Tomas. :wink:
Wow those Audio Technica M20X really are cheap! I think at that price I'm just gonna go ahead and order some, and based on your recommendation, as its mixing I specifically want these for. I don't care about sound leaking out as its more for when I can't be sat in front of my monitors, and sound leaking from headphones isn't going to disturb my neighbours. Thanks again.

Kind Regards
Dave

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 pm

My pleasure! I'd highly recommend Sonarworks as well. There is a lot less to be "fixed" in mastering since I started using it.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:39 pm

Just had a quick look at Sonorworks, it looks great but its a bit expensive for me at the moment. However I did buy Waves NX a few weeks ago but I haven't tried it out yet. It'll be interesting to hear what its like with these Audio Technica M20X's, I'm gonna order them now ;) Thanks Tomas.

Kind Regards
Dave

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:58 pm

I think there is a trial period.

It's (I think) €100 for the headphones only edition.

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 pm

Aah you're right! I didn't read it properly lol, I only saw the price for the full edition. Well that sounds pretty good then, I've ordered the headphones, they should be with me on Wednesday. I'll download the 21 day trial and see how it goes, Thanks again Tomas ;)

Kind Regards
Dave

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:55 pm

I really like the sound quality in A4Tech headphones. But you just need to choose more expensive headphone models.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Tue May 18, 2021 12:33 pm

If you're still in the market for headphones: Sony MDR 7506s are excellent. Very clean, neutral sound and very durable. Quite comfortable too. They fold away into almost nothing, ideal for putting in bags.

I've had mine for around 20 years; they're my go-to before I move over to mixing on speakers. The only thing I've replaced on them is the foam padding/covers (plenty of online options for those). I wouldn't be surprised if I get another 20 years out of them.

Cheers

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:37 pm

I can only say that the audio technica ath-m50x have been a godsend for me after years of trying to mix on cheap headsets or speakers. They are really clear, seems neutral enough to reveal a lot of my weaknesses. Not too bad price wise either, so recommended.

Once upon a time I borrowed a pair of AKG 240s from a studio guy I knew, but my ears found them to be very tiresome to use.