Best tool for podcast production

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
garrybalance24

Best tool for podcast production

Post by garrybalance24 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:55 am

Hi,
I'm working on my 1st podcast, I use Cubase (as I'm also a musician). For audio editing/repair, I wonder if anybody is using RX7 or the latest RX8 by Izotope. What do you guys use for Mastering / Loudness, I am considering buying Wavelab, which also comes with some audio repair tools (not sure how it compares with RX7). I wonder if anybody is using it for their own podcasts, if not what other tools?
Thanks
If you need the best podcast production companies so you can search faze1audio

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Best tool for podcast production

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:11 am

when i tried launching a workstation and graphics related youtube channel, i was using RX7. i tried the wavelab demo but i found that izotope was easier to produce better audio from with less fiddling. you can even load it into their interface and edit it there....

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Best tool for podcast production

Post by madtheory » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:04 pm

You can do the whole production in Cubase. It already has a limiter, you might want to add Youlean loudness meter or the Melda Productions one to automate setting of LUFS.

Izotope RX is great, at the price it is a must have for any audio work. However, I would question a voice recording practice that requires such a tool. Normally all you will need is a touch of eq and compression. The voice should be recorded in a reasonably quiet and reflection free room with a decent mic. I like the AT2020, it's very cheap and is a popular podcast mic. There are other mics of course. Like the AT4033a :) I just like their mics a lot for voice.

You can use the RX tools as plugins in Cubase. The RX standalone editor might be a bit of a pain because it uses different keyboard commands/ mouse clicks than you might be used to in Cubase. That said, some of the more drastic tools work better inside the RX editor.