VOCALWARS - Korg R3 vs. Roland VP-770

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.
thehighesttree

VOCALWARS - Korg R3 vs. Roland VP-770

Post by thehighesttree » Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Alright, here we've got 2 synths marketed mainly towards vocal processing. One is a fairly inexpensive modeling synth with fully-tweakable 16-band vocoder, the other...well...I really don't know. The description on here makes the VP-770 sound like a no-nonsense, easy to use vocal processor with several vocoder, autotuning and choral presets, but not much fine-tuning. It's also designed with "ensemble" voices, which is certainly makes it more versitile, but this isn't the focus of VOCALWARS. I get that it's MORE than a vocoder, but I'm left wondering where the astronomical cost difference comes from. I had a chance to briefly mess with the VP-770 in the local music store and I own the R3. I have to say I wasn't terribly impressed with the presets I tried but I'd be willing to believe it's better when you get into it. The problem is, it's made out to sound like there's not really much you can do under the hood, which seems a shame for something with this much potential...

The R3 on the other hand is something I've had plenty of time to mess with and I think it's got a great vocoder; though it wasn't very accessible at first, with some concentration I've managed to make a really flexible "all-purpose" vocoder that sounds clear (even using poly for a chorus sound) and can emphasize specific frequencies with the mod wheel...I haven't even gotten into effects besides a delay. This thing seems like all you need, save for the fact that it doesn't do auto-tune.

So is the Roland capable of justifying its price tag? Perhaps its less a synth-head synth and more for people who want that vocoder sound...what are peoples' thoughts on this?

cgren72

Re: VOCALWARS - Korg R3 vs. Roland VP-770

Post by cgren72 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Is the korg r3 marketed towards vocal processing? Or does it just have a vocoder? Many VA synths have vocoders as a feature

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Fri May 04, 2012 7:47 pm

They call it a "Synthesizer Vocoder" and it's got a mic projecting from it. I think it's safe to say it's marketed as a vocoder. :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 am

Don't get the Roland, get a TC Voicelive touch instead. You'll thank me.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm

thehighesttree wrote:They call it a "Synthesizer Vocoder" and it's got a mic projecting from it. I think it's safe to say it's marketed as a vocoder. :D
sorry

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Mon May 07, 2012 3:34 pm

It seems to me the difference in price comes down entirely to the construction of each synth. Korg R3=cheap. The VP is just more solid and playable. One might say professional. I've only played both briefly, but I almost broke the R3 just looking at it. Sound-wise, I guess it would come down to taste. I also have a TC Voicelive Touch. Highly recommended.

thehighesttree

Post by thehighesttree » Tue May 08, 2012 3:38 pm

The TC Voicelive Touch looks pretty cool as a dedicated vocal/looping unit (checked some demos). Also gotta say that the Roland was way more solid build quality, but my R3's been dropped on its edge and dragged around with me and it's held up well so far, but it's hard to trust that thin plastic lip below the keybed!