TX16W v.s. Roland S-330

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Josefarno

TX16W v.s. Roland S-330

Post by Josefarno » Sun May 02, 2021 10:30 am

So I’m looking to buy a 12 bit rack mount sampler without breaking the bank too much and the two so far that have stood out to me as affordable are the TX16W and the S-330 (especially the S-330). Would obviously get Temple OS for the TX and a monitor of some sort for the S-330 to make life easier. I’m curious what your guys’ opinion on pros/cons of these against each other. By all means if you have any ideas of comparable samplers that can be had for around the same price I’m all ears. I’m pretty determined on a 12 bit for its unique sound (I have an iPhone that can sample anything with an app called Koala, but I’m trying to get away from computers and want something that colors the sound a bit more) but I’m open to looking at anything.

Side question: how does a sampler like these handle drum samples? I’m looking at a E-mu Procussion module for drums, but I’m curious how well I’d be able to get away just using the sampler instead. The Procussion had all sorts of ways to vary the sound as to make it sound more realistic, where I’m guessing on the sampler the only thing it could do is vary the velocity by lowering/raising volume?