Help needed for first synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
BiscuitHipster

Help needed for first synth

Post by BiscuitHipster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Hey y'all I'm looking at a synth to go alongside my guitar playing and really fill my sound out with an arpeggiated bassline.
The issue I've been running into is that everything I've looked at doesn't latch, so they would totally tie up my hands which defeats the point :lol:
Ideally would be able to change the key or root note on the fly by pressing a key mid sequence if I needed to change things up to match a chord progression.

Budget is ideally under £300, but of course there is flex

Thanks all

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Help needed for first synth

Post by Z » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am

Roland JD-Xi with the updated firmware that includes the Interactive Chord feature is what you want. They are $500 USD new and you can find them used all the time for around $350 USD.

The JD-Xi is the centerpiece of my live rig. I program the backing tracks on it and play live parts on other synths.

With the Interactive Chord feature, you can program drums, a monosynth (I usually use that for bass) and a polysynth part and whatever chord you play on the keyboard, the sequence will transpose to that chord.

Here's me using it for the first time at a live show doing a cover of Jarre's "Magnetic Fields 4". There's just one pattern that repeats over an over, but as I play different chords on the keyboard, the bass line and ostinato transpose

youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

groy

Post by groy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:55 pm

Microkorg has as great arp. You can change key on the fly as you described, does octaves and s**t, but if you wanted to re-trigger a chord you have to play all it's notes (not just the single root key).

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:34 pm

I don't think the micoKorg can transpose the arpeggiator, even though Ranzee states that it can. Notice that he is pressing only one key, not a chord before he "transposes". Go to 6:55...he latches one note then plays a couple of other notes and claims it's transposing. It's not. Any arpeggiator will do that.

I've used software arpeggiators that can latch and transpose, though. The one in Logic does it, for instance.

That Interactive Chord feature on the JD-Xi looks cool. It's like the way auto accompaniment styles work on arranger keyboards.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Bachboy

Post by Bachboy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:32 am

Z wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am
Roland JD-Xi with the updated firmware that includes the Interactive Chord feature is what you want. They are $500 USD new and you can find them used all the time for around $350 USD.

The JD-Xi is the centerpiece of my live rig. I program the backing tracks on it and play live parts on other synths.

With the Interactive Chord feature, you can program drums, a monosynth (I usually use that for bass) and a polysynth part and whatever chord you play on the keyboard, the sequence will transpose to that chord.

Here's me using it for the first time at a live show doing a cover of Jarre's "Magnetic Fields 4". There's just one pattern that repeats over an over, but as I play different chords on the keyboard, the bass line and ostinato transpose

Yeah, probably, it's the best one in this price category. I'm still really satisfied with that analog/digital crossover sound engine
@BiscuitHipster so what's your decision finally?
my article about synthesizers under $500

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:32 pm

Z wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am
Here's me using it for the first time at a live show doing a cover of Jarre's "Magnetic Fields 4".
That's fantastic!