Sequential Circuits MAX

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
immigrantboy

Sequential Circuits MAX

Post by immigrantboy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:08 am

So, I might have a shot at a Sequential Circuits Max for cheap, but I'm skeptical about the programability (apparently it required software through a Commodore 64). I've read reviews for it that claim you can use a modern MIDI controller to adjust the parameters. Is this true? If so, any recommendations?
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

insky

Post by insky » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:16 am

I would assume it uses SysEx like most 80's midi synths. Not all midi controllers put out SysEx though.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:40 am

XXX
:?
Last edited by wiss on Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

origin

Re: Sequential Circuits MAX

Post by origin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 am

Just a heads up as I'm debating how useful the Max is as well:

The program UNISYN by Motu apparently can program the thing, and is cross platform. So that might help with your decision. http://www.motu.com/products/software/unisyn

The one by me is $325 tho = :?

Gonna skip it and get a Casio CZ-1 for $150 =) =) =)

-origin

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 pm

The MAX will respond to CCs to set most parameters but there is no way to write the results into the onboard memory (which is cleared when you turn the unit off anyway).

Because of the programming issues, anything over $100 for a Max is questionable (to me) unless you really love the 80 factory presets :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Thetimeplease
Gear: All 151 Pokemon.

Post by Thetimeplease » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:47 pm

meatballfulton wrote:there is no way to write the results into the onboard memory (which is cleared when you turn the unit off anyway).
If one was up for a DIY challenge I'd imagine the Midibox 64 would be a perfect match for the Max- using external swappable banksticks gives you as much patch memory as required. Setting one up to send CC's is apparently quite easy and can be done via the front panel, unfortunately assigning sysex commands to controls means modifying the application layer and defining meta events.

http://www.ucapps.de/