Synth n00b - PLEASE HELP (drone/shoegaze/minimalist)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ManInTheFog

Synth n00b - PLEASE HELP (drone/shoegaze/minimalist)

Post by ManInTheFog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:51 am

I have been in a drone/minimalist/shoegaze/folk project for the past few months, and am looking to purchase a reasonably priced synth ($400.00-$700.00)....I am a pretty experienced piano player, but when it comes to playing synth, I just use the preset patches and twist a bunch of knobs to make cool sounds.I have been using the MicroKorg and the Novation XioSynth, which I both love, but I'm ready for something bigger (61 keys) and new sounds....and i think i've boiled it down to two choices:

-Korg X50 or Roland Juno-D

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated, especially those of you who play similar styles of music

ManInTheFog

Re: Synth n00b - PLEASE HELP (drone/shoegaze/minimalist)

Post by ManInTheFog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:26 am

From reading archive posts, it looks like a need a "rompler."

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 am

A Virus C would do the trick I'm sure, in any of its incarnations. I have the Indigo 2 and it can create lots and lots and lots of different sounds, plus its very easy to pick up and just start using. You won't find it for 700 or less, but its worth the price.

If you want some dirtier, interesting tones - you could also try out just about any one of the Ensoniqs - SQ80, SD1, ESQ1, etc. Those you could definitely find in your price range.

A Korg DW8000 could fit into your price range as well, and it has a lot of great features that allow for some very awesome sound creations.

...Just a few ideas.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 am

The X50 and Juno D would both be terrible for doing shoegaze/drone stuff IMO. Look for something with lots of knobs for realtime control.

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for the advice friends...I think my main problem is that I just don't know how to properly play a synth. Maybe I'll just stick with the MicroKorg and XioSynth for a while longer and experiment more with the knobs.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:24 am

maybe you should look into getting some interesting outboard gear, the moog LPF can make anything sound smoother or freakier or both

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 am

Oh yeah, drone and shoegaze is more about the effects you use rather than anything else. Get some pedals/rack units rather than another synth.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Drone, eh? Well, I agree with the posts mentioned here that the two synths you're looking at will do nothing for you. Whilst the FX you use do play a big role. it isn't everything. If you want drone, a DX7 or any similar FM will do you some good (assuming you can ace the programming). Generally, when I think of drone I always find myself coming to the Korg Wavestation. I feel like every drone/noise/electornica artist should have one...If you've got the $$$ a Jupiter 8 will treat you nice, but again, that's assuming you have that kind of cash.

On the cheaper side, buy yourself some toy keyboards at junk shops and get ahold of some solder and an iron and get bending! You wouldn't believe the amount of fun you can have with bent items. I've heard things come from my bent gear that even my synths couldn't do!

On the incredibly expensive side, consider a modular.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman