Best 15-20 watt amp for Synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ManInTheFog

Best 15-20 watt amp for Synth?

Post by ManInTheFog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 am

Looking for a 15-20 watt amp for my Yamaha cs6x for a reasonable price...any recommendations?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Best 15-20 watt amp for Synth?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:00 pm

For what application? Small keyboard amps sound like c**p.

For home use, buy some powered monitors.

What do you consider "reasonable"?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Will be for home use...reasonable in my case for an amp/monitors would be $150.00 or less?

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:24 am

I run my synths through my regular hi-fi amp and speakers. Works fine, and I didn't have to buy anything. Might not cut it at high volume with the resonance cranked up, but neither my neighbors nor my ears will put up with that s**t. ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Probably should have mentioned that I jam mostly with my buddies (one of whom plays the guitar and the other who plays synth) in an experimental/minimal/drone project where I mostly use synth sounds. But I want to start doing solo piano gigs in addition, as I am a much better piano player than synth player (noob to synths). I've been using a cheap 20 watt Bheringer bass amp that I've had, which is okay for some of the synth patches, but just sounds horribly distorted when I play piano. I've always thought 20 watts was PLENTY loud when jamming with my friends in the living room, but perhaps I should step it up a notch. I've been looking at the Hartke 60-Watt KM60 amp/monitor ...a little out of my price range, but looks like it could suit my needs...could also plug in my little Novation XioSynth25.

But being so new to synths and electric keyboards, I've just always thought an amp was necessary, but perhaps a monitor would suit me better in this case? Any thoughts?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 am

I just got an Alesis Sumo 15 on ebay for $70 and it sounds really good to my untrained ear and seems powerful enough. I was previously using a Roland Microcube guitar amp which sounded terrible with synths and this is a vast improvement. I use M-audio studiopro3 powered monitors for mixing, but I think the Sumo is way better for jamming as it's much louder.

I tested it with some weird microQ patches and it seems to deal with the variety of frequencies well.