Classic DOS or Amiga Sequncers/Trackers that don't requirte a mouse? Attempting a raspberry Pi project.

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
RovertL

Classic DOS or Amiga Sequncers/Trackers that don't requirte a mouse? Attempting a raspberry Pi project.

Post by RovertL » Mon May 09, 2022 4:39 am

This is a question for some folks who are old school. What are some of the best sequencers or trackers for older computers that didn't require a mouse? I want to test out a few different ones out for a project I am working on. I know of Voyetra's Sequncer Plus Gold, and it looks really promising for my purposes. It has some limitations in terms of recording midi CC though, which is something I normally rely on while composing.

I'm asking around since I've long been obsessed with finding an elegant solution for turning the raspberry pi into a hardware sequencer. Unfortunately, most software out these days is way too complex, and lacks the tactile and elegant design of something like my Yamaha QY70. I was building obtuse reaper templates and midi controller layouts that frankly got absurd. I always thought the little computer would be a great candidate for software like this, but the closest is probably Seq66, and it's heavily dependent on the mouse (though I do want to try the headless build sometime).

I know that many programs aren't EXACTLY like the QY sequencer, but I've come to notice just how simple and well thought out a lot of early computer sequencers are. They're far closer to the kind of simple magic that makes hardware appeal to me. I want to try a few out on Dosbox etc. to find one that just kind of hit's the spot.

My obsession with not needing a mouse is that I'd like something that I can keep in one custom housing with as few appendages as possible. I also think it over complicates navigation as more often than not stuff designed with a mouse in mind has far too many little menus. It be nice to see how far just a small keyboard and the screen could take me. Curious what programs people loved that kept it simple but still offer a rather robust sequencing experience.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Classic DOS or Amiga Sequncers/Trackers that don't requirte a mouse? Attempting a raspberry Pi project.

Post by Ashe37 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:36 pm

i have a solution proposal for you:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5063?g ... 7FEALw_wcB