Can't find "A Touch of Rain" patch on Wavestation VST

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
SynthPlayer

Can't find "A Touch of Rain" patch on Wavestation VST

Post by SynthPlayer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 am

Hello, it has been a very long time since I've been here, but that's beside the point. For some reason, on the Wavestation VST, I can't find "A Touch of Rain" on there. I've tried searching through all the sound banks with no luck. My best guess is that it probably is in there but under a different name, although the wave sequence that it uses (it's called Bad Dance) is in there. The weird thing is how all the other well known patches like Midnight Run and Ski Jam are present, yet this one doesn't seem to be there. If anyone knows where it is (if it is even in there) then your help would be appreciated.

desmond

Re: Can't find "A Touch of Rain" patch on Wavestation VST

Post by desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:34 pm

I don't remember that performance from the WS presets, and it's not in the SR preset banks either, so I'm not sure about "well-known".

What kind of sound was it? There was a preset called Rain Forest, is that the one you mean?

I'll have a look through my stuff... I haven't found it in any of the Korg-created preset, card, or extra banks they made. It's probably a third-party sound...

I can't find any Wave Sequence called "Bad Dance" in the plugin either, which contains all the WS, SR and Card contents. Maybe you meant a Patch called "Bad Bance"..? There is a Patch called "Bad Dance" in ROM4.

SynthPlayer

Post by SynthPlayer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:17 pm

There's a sound demo of the patch here: http://www.synthmania.com/wavestation_a_d.htm (it's number 19 in the RAM3 section.) The annoying thing about the VST is that the patches that would be in RAM3 are instead scattered throughout the other banks.

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

That's the Wavestation A/D RAM3 bank, which was different to the WS/SR banks as it had patches that included support for the external inputs. So you'll need to download that bank as sysex online, I'm sure the patch you want will be in there. I had a feeling it might be there, as that's the only official WS preset bank not in the plugin directly (although I expect most of the presets in it are probably sprinkled throughout the SR banks.)

(Edit: Just checked, yes it's in there.)

You can get it from here: http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/ws_sysex.htm

The readme notes the references will be wrong, the data loads into RAM2 (the non/AD Wavestations didn't have a RAM3 bank) but all the references are for RAM3 patches and wave sequences so you'll need to update the RAM references from RAM3 to RAM2 if you are using the plugin. The WS hardware lets you move data between banks easily, the plugin does not.

You may be able to google around for a version for the plugin with the references intact, possibly.

SynthPlayer

Post by SynthPlayer » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:13 pm

Ah, this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! The page you linked also helped me learn how to use SysEx files (for a while I was clueless and had no idea how to use them). Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 pm

No probs. If you can't get it working, give me a shout...

SynthPlayer

Post by SynthPlayer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 am

Update: I was able to import the .syx file into the program without any issues. The only tweaking I needed to do was setting the references from RAM3 to ROM4.