Hardware MIDI sequencer

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
ByronViggo

Hardware MIDI sequencer

Post by ByronViggo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:14 pm

Hello!

I have been searching for a MIDI sequencer hardware that allows me to perform live without using a computer. I have a Doepfer dark energy, and for the project I am doing right now I would like to have some piece of hardware that I could load MIDI sequences (made with my computer), sending them to the Doepfer in a loop, change of sequences (maybe by queuing the loops), modifying the tempo... The melodies in the MIDI sequences are fairly "complex" (not really, just have some triplets around, for example), and in the performances the sequences change from 3/4, to 4/4, to 5/4...

I was also not thinking in getting a very complex machine, as the synthesizer that should receive the loops has already plenty of nice knobs :) and well, I would like not to spend a lot on money on it...

I have read several posts, but I have not found something that explicitly details what I am looking for... Maybe the Arturia Keystep?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Hardware MIDI sequencer

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:29 pm

the keystep just plays the notes for the length it is programmed in the tempo it has programmed, it doesn't know anything about 3/4 4/4 5/4... Also, the original at least can only store 8 sequences.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Hardware MIDI sequencer

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 pm

You'll also want something that can import Standard MIDI files (SMF). Nobody makes a standalone sequencer that does this any more.

Take a look at used Akai MPCs, unless you have the budget for a new one.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.