Electribe EMX-1 "classic" blank screen problem... but it's NOT the FUSE1!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Sinistar

Electribe EMX-1 "classic" blank screen problem... but it's NOT the FUSE1!

Post by Sinistar » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Greetings. So I had an EMX-1 for years now. Bought it probably more than a decade ago off ebay, but in perfect working conditions, no problem whatsoever. Used if for some time, but then I put it into storage where it rested some years. Few months ago, I took it out again but as i turned it on, only the screen lit on, no LEDs, and the screen was blank. Did some research and came to conclusion it's a well known problem of blown fuse chip. And I finally got the replacement some time ago.

Now, when I opened the unit up, I did what one fixing tutorial suggested and I checked the continuity on the fuse. And to my surprise, it was actually fine. And as I research the issue some more, I read the screen is also supposed to slowly fade out when you turn the machine off, but mine turned off instantly. So at that point I started to suspect it's not the fuse... Still, feeling both adventurous and stubborn, I decided to replace the original weaker fuse with stronger. Physically removed the old one, checked continuity just for the sake of checking and there was none, as expected. Also checked the screen and lo and behold, it did fade out slowly with no fuse. Put the new one in and - exactly the same as before.

So I am kinda stumped on this one. Perhaps my google-fu is weak, but all I found regarding this issue is just the already mentioned fuse problem which obviously doesn't apply here. At this point I started thinking if perhaps leaving the unit unplugged was perhaps the problem? But I don't think the EMX-1 has any sort of internal battery or something, right?? Or could it perhaps be a power supply issue?

I also tried starting up with all the "test modes" but absolutely nothing happened.

If anyone has any idea, just shoot. I have no intention of giving up on this old beauty just yet.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Re: Electribe EMX-1 "classic" blank screen problem... but it's NOT the FUSE1!

Post by Yekuku » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

Hi and welcome !
Usually the problem lies in the DC-DC circuit.
Did you check the powerlines ?
Is the 5v/ 3.3v/1.8v power missing ?
It is all about sharing...

Sinistar

Post by Sinistar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Hey, thanks for reply, this is the first time I actually got at least a hint at what could be wrong, hehe.

Now, I will admit, I am no expert in this field. So could you please instruct me further how to best check that, at which spot/element? I was looking at electronics scheme in EMX1 service manual and using a multimeter checked the voltage on IC14 (5.8V), IC16 (1.8V) and IC9 (1.8V??), which was the only weird one but perhaps I was just measuring in a wrong way because as said, no expert... One thing I also noticed that I probably should have mentioned before - maybe I am remembering wrong, but tubes were supposed to shine, right?? Because they don't, there is just one very tiny spot like glowing amber in each one of them. They are getting hot though....

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:24 am

Dont worry about the tubes not lighting up, they shouldn't. I think that there is a led there that should light up , but I am not sure.
Anyways, check the attachment and read voltages on the red circles.
We are mainly interested in the 3 lower red circles that belong to "MAIN DIGITAL SYSTEM 3.3V/1A" power line.
Attachments
EMX.jpg
It is all about sharing...