Starting over from scratch - need some advice!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
frequency

Starting over from scratch - need some advice!

Post by frequency » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Hey guys,

It's been years since I sold all my equipment, and the itch to start over grows by the day!
I'm on a limited budget => 450€ to be exact.
What I'm thinking about is going completely computer based, with a laptop, DAW and some synth(s) and a controller. Luckily, being a bass player, I've already got a Gigboard than can double as an audio interface, and amplifier and speakers.

So I'm looking for a laptop that won't run out of juice, a DAW that has a Drum Grid Editor and decent enough effects, a software synth (Jupiter 8, wavetable,....) and a controller keyboard.

I'm far from a pc/software expert so I certainly could with your advice.
What laptop (secondhand) would you recommend?
What DAW, synth, and controller?

Greetz!

frequency

Re: Starting over from scratch - need some advice!

Post by frequency » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm

Anyone have advice on what kind of laptop I could be getting?

Tooter
Gear: All Yamaha
WX11, WT11, DX7, TX81Z
Plus some Phillip Rees MIDI stuff

plus various flutey sort of things
Band: No longer performing

Post by Tooter » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm

frequency wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm
Somebody should answer you...
Shooting from the hip, I'd say to get the best you can afford (€450 won't buy the best there is) so that it will be able to handle reasonably recent software. As to what you should get in terms of internals and software I'm too out of date to advise.

I've simple needs and desires so I can get what I want with an old Toshiba Equium A80-132 running Windows XP (not internet connected!) that's left over from doing the office work when I ran a small business. I have an old version of NCH Mixpad and Wavepad software which I use a bit like an old 8-track recorder.

It's the most modern bit of technology in my setup, so anything better than that and you're way ahead of me. :whistle:

frequency

Post by frequency » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:25 pm

Tooter wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:47 pm
frequency wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm
Somebody should answer you...
Shooting from the hip, I'd say to get the best you can afford (€450 won't buy the best there is) so that it will be able to handle reasonably recent software. As to what you should get in terms of internals and software I'm too out of date to advise.

I've simple needs and desires so I can get what I want with an old Toshiba Equium A80-132 running Windows XP (not internet connected!) that's left over from doing the office work when I ran a small business. I have an old version of NCH Mixpad and Wavepad software which I use a bit like an old 8-track recorder.

It's the most modern bit of technology in my setup, so anything better than that and you're way ahead of me. :whistle:
Thanks Tooter!

Tooter
Gear: All Yamaha
WX11, WT11, DX7, TX81Z
Plus some Phillip Rees MIDI stuff

plus various flutey sort of things
Band: No longer performing

Post by Tooter » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:37 pm

Don't forget to let us know what you end up with and what you think of it - we're not all highly experienced gurus on here (I'm neither) and the info might help another returner or newcomer.

Toot

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:22 am

I have a 2004 MacBook Pro here. Installed Ubuntu Studio and latest version of Reaper. Works great. Reaper will work on a Chromebook and on a Raspberry Pi.

Use that (Ubuntu and Reaper) and it doesn't matter much what computer you get.