Trouble sending patches to Roland D-10

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
TheWraith

Trouble sending patches to Roland D-10

Post by TheWraith » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:18 pm

Hi,
I have a freshly serviced Roland D-10 I'm looking to load patches onto. I'm a guitar player so synths and patches are a whole new world to me. I have tried using SysEx Librarian and Patch Base. I get the same two errors each time of "Midi communication error" or "Data Mismatch". I'm not seeing much info on this for the D-10. I tried lowering the transmit speed. I'm using a cheap $20 amazon cable for midi in and out to USB. Should I be using .syx, midi, or .bank files to load patches? I've tried all three. Should I be in performance or timbral mode when loading patches? Nothing seems to work. Please help!!!

Also if someone could point me to some 80's string, synth, pad, gothy, new wave sounding patches that would be great.

Thanks!!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Trouble sending patches to Roland D-10

Post by madtheory » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:21 am

The cheap cable is the problem. It's actually a MIDI interface. It does not have enough memory to handle SysEx. Buy a branded one instead such as Roland or Alesis. They put more memory in those.

TheWraith

Re: Trouble sending patches to Roland D-10

Post by TheWraith » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 am

Yes a new cable did the trick. Thank you!