Korg M1...very low sound

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
vikar62

Korg M1...very low sound

Post by vikar62 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:05 am

I didn't use my Korg M1 for a couple of years. Last week when i turned it on, it had very faint volume even at
max. All the sounds/voices are there, the battery is also okay. But the volume is extremely low.
Where i am, there is very little tech support for Korg products, especially for older models like M1.
I am not very tech savvy myself. So i will get some local technician to look at it.
But if the experts on this forum can help me know what could possibly be the remedy, it will help
me keep the local technicians on track, so i don't get conned or they don't further damage the M1.
Will appreciate your suggestions/advice. Thanks.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: Korg M1...very low sound

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:19 pm

vikar62 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:05 am
But if the experts on this forum can help me know what could possibly be the remedy
I'm afraid it isn't that easy. If the sounds are still there but only at too low volume this may indicate a fault near the output amplifier section. Howver, this can be anything - a faulty part, a broken solder joint, a corroded connector, a cable sitting loose in its socket, plus a few more.

Make sure you have the schematic at hand (should hopefully be available online?) before handing the instrument over to your tech. This will make it much, much easier to follow and check the signal path with an oscilloscope and thus locate the fault.

Hope you can get your synth fixed without too much trouble or hassle!
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

vikar62

Re: Korg M1...very low sound

Post by vikar62 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:09 pm

Thanks a lot for responding with your views.
Will have all of that considered by the technician.
Yes, schematic is available online. So that's not a problem.

Where I live, there are very few Korg techs and even fewer
familiar with M1. So it is indeed a hassle.

But thanks again for your opinion. Will get back and report the outcome.