Fix for Korg MS-20 Mini Modulation Generator

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
NoNotDoomX

Fix for Korg MS-20 Mini Modulation Generator

Post by NoNotDoomX » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 am

It's my first post here, so hello everyone!

I recently discovered there is something wrong with my 6 year-old Korg MS-20 Mini, specifically its Modulation Generator. I hadn't played my synthesizer in a while because various life events, but when I started getting back into it I found the knobs labeled "MG/T.ext" do nothing. I don't remember if this has always been a problem or a recent development (I struggled wrapping my head around modular synthesis even when I was playing it every day). I can still get pulsing sounds by patching, and I had the only Korg-certified technician in my area take a look at it and he said the everything is fine but the MG board. Unfortunately, the only replacement board he could find was about $600

This brings me to my question: can I get a separate LFO unit and patch it in to replace my faulty MG board and which slots should I patch into to make those "MG/T.ext" knobs work the way they should? Follow up question: could I use a Monotron Duo or Delay as an LFO?

Thanks!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Fix for Korg MS-20 Mini Modulation Generator

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:35 am

heck for $600 you can buy a replacement...

NoNotDoomX

Post by NoNotDoomX » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:59 am

My thoughts exactly, but since the unit is 95% perfect condition, I'd rather not throw out something if there's a reasonable work around

JJ74Q

Post by JJ74Q » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:02 pm

I was wondering if a patch was ever created? Or if you found the Board you were looking for. I also have this problem. I bought this used, had it on Layaway at a local music shop. When I put the Kork MS-20 Mini in layaway it sounded great. It had been, collecting dust on a shelf for awhile, I found the patch cables and supply. We tested it before it was put on layaway. Yesterday I went to get it and they “mysteriously” couldn’t find the power supply. I almost backed out of the layaway. The guy offered a new power supply with it. No Problem it was nice of him, but the original was there. Anyhow upon taking it out of the box the DC Jack was bigger. So I went and bought a universal one. I made sure it was a 9v supply and the polarity was correct befor plug-ins it in. Once on I get no power light and the modulation light both flash together for a split second then it seems to reset. No patches do anything and no sound from signal. I’ve looked all over the place for Codes maybe. Idk. I bought this because I was wanting to design my own Euro Rack. It’s a shame I have problems with this. I don’t want to take it back. It was 278 I know that’s a lot of money to buy something not working. Any help regarding this issue would be much appreciated. I can’t annoy my wife till it’s fixed. 😞
Thanks for reading.
God Bless.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:18 am

Does your power supply put out 1.7A at 9V? That's the rating of the MS20 Mini supply. If the current (amps) is too low, that might account for your problem.

Take it back to the shop. Either they find the original power supply or you should ask for a refund.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.