ARP Odyssey MK III Osc 2 problems

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bmack
ARP Odyssey MK III Osc 2 problems

Post by bmack » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Hey There,
I'm repairing a vintage Arp Odyssey and I'm having issues with Osc 2. If I move the coarse adjustment fader I can get a sound sweep but instead of the frequency spectrum spread out across the entire fader, it all bunched up into a half inch section near that top of the fader.
Some background for what I've done already: Removed, opened, and cleaned all the faders, replacing any that were broken or worn (thanks to Synthchaser.com). I replaced all the electrolytics and tantalum caps, and most of the IC's. Everything else seems to work well except for the Coarse adjustment fader. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

synzoneau

Re: ARP Odyssey MK III Osc 2 problems

Post by synzoneau » Tue May 05, 2020 12:27 am

Check the surrounding circuitry that all is connected where it should be. It's possible the carbon track is just too worn hence you get response only in small amount of travel. Also double check that you put the correct fader there, on the side there's the resistance value and the taper. So it will say something like 100kA which means it's 100 k ohm fader with log taper also called audio taper. There's also B linear and C anti-log. I did this once on a Moog MG-1 I'd put the wrong slider in the wrong place I got response in only small part of the travel

bmack

Re: ARP Odyssey MK III Osc 2 problems

Post by bmack » Thu May 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Hey, thanks for your reply! I have checked all the voltages on Osc 2 and compared them to Osc 1. Cant find a difference there. I'm also thinking it may be the fader itself. I double checked that I put the right value in there, but the faders were pretty filthy and some didn't go back together as neatly as others. Going to double check that today.