Alesis SR-16 Not Working

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lucian.electro

Alesis SR-16 Not Working

Post by lucian.electro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 am

I recently purchased a used Alesis SR-16 for repair. The unit wouldn't power on at all initially. I opened it up to check for any obvious problems and everything looked good. I then did a factory reset, which got the machine running, but shortly after that it wouldn't come back on.

Would anyone know if the internal battery would cause this issue?

If not what else could it be?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Alesis SR-16 Not Working

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 pm

lucian.electro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 am
I then did a factory reset, which got the machine running, but shortly after that it wouldn't come back on.
Does "it wouldn't come back on" mean that nothing lights up or shows on the LCD or do you mean something else?

I'd take a close look at the power supply voltages. Do you have the factory wall wart supply or is it a replacement? It's supposed to be 12V AC, not a DC supply!

Alesis used AC wall warts on other products like the Microverbs. If it has a phone plug type connector, rather than a barrel type connector, you can kill the supply disconnecting it at the unit while still plugged into the AC socket becasue phone plugs actually short on insertion and removal. The barrel connectors don't short.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

lucian.electro

Post by lucian.electro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:12 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 pm
lucian.electro wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:30 am
I then did a factory reset, which got the machine running, but shortly after that it wouldn't come back on.
Does "it wouldn't come back on" mean that nothing lights up or shows on the LCD or do you mean something else?

I'd take a close look at the power supply voltages. Do you have the factory wall wart supply or is it a replacement? It's supposed to be 12V AC, not a DC supply!

Alesis used AC wall warts on other products like the Microverbs. If it has a phone plug type connector, rather than a barrel type connector, you can kill the supply disconnecting it at the unit while still plugged into the AC socket becasue phone plugs actually short on insertion and removal. The barrel connectors don't short.
Nothing shows up at all on the LCD screen.

I have a 12V AC power adapter, so it should work okay.

I'm really confused on what the problem could be..

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:06 pm

You need to check all the internal power voltages first. With your symptoms, bad power is the most common cause.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.