KORG Polysix Programming Problems

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Snapper

KORG Polysix Programming Problems

Post by Snapper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm

I have been unable to load programs using the FROM Tape method. I have the original cassette, for some reason the original program that came in it (US model) disappeared and I do not have a copy of it. According to the manual, those US loaded sounds are not what is on the provided cassette and I did not make a copy of the original sounds. I purchased some aftermarket programs in *.wav format but that doesn't work either. I do not get any of the sequence of lights (1-8), and the Found and Write LED's do not come on. I did replace the battery, there was no leakage and no circuit card damage I could see. There are sounds in it but they're pretty terrible and certainly not what used to be in it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: KORG Polysix Programming Problems

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Since you mentioned a .wav file, what are you using to play the audio into the synth? Cassette ports tend to be very touchy about signal levels.

The loaded "sounds" are terrible because now it's just random bits in the patch RAM. :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Snapper

Re: KORG Polysix Programming Problems

Post by Snapper » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:53 pm

I used my phone to play the *.wav file thru a mini to 1/4' adapter cord. When I did the cassette, it did light the 8 LEDs in sequence and acknowledge the transfer, but the sounds were pretty much the same as they were before I did it. That could mean that's what was in there, but I never loaded them and I have had this instrument since new in 1982. Battery was replaced once back in 1994, there was no leakage, and I just put a new one in it a week ago. Everything inside is clean, board looked fine and it was an easy job.

I don't remember it taking so long to warm up, but it does finally come alive. I read about this on this forum just today, and when I got online I had turned it on and all the lights stayed on and wouldn't go off. I found the discussion about warming up, and when I turned around and looked again, it was normal. So I guess the 5 Volt supply is getting tired or there's something pulling it low until it gets warm.

Apparently the US Factory sounds were different than the cassette provided and I was bad and didn't save them. Very sorry for that, because I liked most of those sounds, particularly the strings. I have been playing with it just now and I am able to manipulate the sounds in Manual mode, and save them, so I don't think it's a memory issue. Anyway, I guess if someone has the US Factory patches and would like to share them, I would be interested. I am selling the instrument but want it to be 'right' when I do. I have not used the instrument for quite a while and my space has become much more limited.