Alesis QS6 & USB/Midi link cable.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JayB

Alesis QS6 & USB/Midi link cable.

Post by JayB » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi, I am trying to connect my Alesis QS6 to my macbook pro using Alesis USB/Midi link cable.
I cannot get the 2 to talk to each other.
Am I missing something, do I need to use an midi interface or can I connect the QS6 directly to my mac with the cable?

I asked Alesis but I've had no reply in 2 weeks. The shop I bought the cable from couldn't answer me either!!!

I'm using logic pro X and the QS6 shows up in the midi setup (mac os x) and the lights flash on the cable.
But there is no sound being produced anywhere!!!

Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks
J

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Alesis QS6 & USB/Midi link cable.

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm

If you mean you have one of these:

That should in fact work. OK, you are seeing lights flash. Load up a software instrument track. You should be able to play that instrument from your keyboard and hear audio out of Logic. Is that working?

You did write "sound"....MIDI is not an audio connection, it's just data communication between two devices, in your case the keyboard and Logic. To get sound from the keyboard into Logic you need an audio interface of some sort.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Post by blueknob » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 am

I have a QS6.1 - it has an inbuilt RS232 if I remember correctly, it also selects between Win and Mac on a switch, there's also a setting in the setup menu. That is all separate from MIDI. I think the Mac connector was for OS9, I have tried it, it seemed ok.
I decided to stay with MIDI because SoundDiver wouldn't see it as being attached and it caused all sorts of problems. Midi worked just fine.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:39 pm

it was an inbuilt serial port that was RS 232 and RS 422 switchable. Since neither PCs nor Macs have those ports anymore....

JayB

Post by JayB » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:09 am

meatballfulton wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm
If you mean you have one of these:

That should in fact work. OK, you are seeing lights flash. Load up a software instrument track. You should be able to play that instrument from your keyboard and hear audio out of Logic. Is that working?

You did write "sound"....MIDI is not an audio connection, it's just data communication between two devices, in your case the keyboard and Logic. To get sound from the keyboard into Logic you need an audio interface of some sort.
That is exactly the cable I have.
I've now tested the cable again, and it is working! yippee. Thanks for your input.
Now I just have to figure out how to write my next number 1.