ARP Odyssey Sound generation

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
blackdavinci
Gear:multiple guitars and basses, Marshall amp, Ampeg B15N, Univox 2X8 cab, Beheringer amp, pedals, Yamaha keyboards, Fender Rhodes, ARP Odyssey
Band:Dogs Eating Glass
ARP Odyssey Sound generation

Post by blackdavinci » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:04 am

HELP!!!!!!!
First off, I'm NOT a synth guy; I'm a guitar/bass/"straight" keyboards player. I was part of a 3 piece unit, but our synth wiz passed 2 months ago from the COVID. I "inherited" an ARP Odyssey RV3 module from his wife. I HOPE someone out there HAS one, or is at least REAL familiar with them!!
Now, HE had my guitar plugged into the "input" jack in the back and added wild textures to the sound. I plugged the guitar in, just like he did, but I get nothing. I can hear the oscillators thru the amp, but for the life of me, I can't get any guitar sounds to come thru OR to "tweak" with the unit. I need HELP!!!! WHAT settings do I put it at to at least GET the guitar signal IN, so I can manipulate it??? I don't want to just spend 2 hours randomly flipping switches and moving sliders; WHAT do I do?? And folks, I kinda need specifics here!!
Thanks MILLIONS!!!! :cry:

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Re: ARP Odyssey Sound generation

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:14 pm

On the back panel, plug the guitar into the EXT AUDIO INPUT jack:

From the manual
If you’re using the ARP ODYSSEY as an effect processor, use a monaural phone cable to connect your external audio source to this jack.
An external signal that is input to the EXT AUDIO INPUT jack is input to the AUDIO MIXER and passes through the VCF and VCA. Use the connected external device to adjust the volume.
On the front panel, set VCA GAIN to maximum (sound will always be output). Go to the Audio Mixer and turn all three sliders off. If the level is still too low with the guitar all the way up, plug a clean boost or similar (preamp, EQ with output control, etc.) pedal in between the guitar and the synth to get more level.

Once you get this working, you can use the LFO or the envelope repeat switches (lower right of the front panel) to manipulate the filter as well as the VCA (amplifier) for tremelo and gating effects.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blackdavinci
Gear:multiple guitars and basses, Marshall amp, Ampeg B15N, Univox 2X8 cab, Beheringer amp, pedals, Yamaha keyboards, Fender Rhodes, ARP Odyssey

Post by blackdavinci » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:24 pm

First, meatballfulton, THANKS millions for the help!!!
I am NOT knowledgeable about this stuff at ALL, and we basically lost our Brian Eno. The other remaining member of the band is the drummer, so I've got NO help!!
I put the VCA and other settings where you said to and NOW, I DO get guitar sound going thru the unit and coming out of the amp, (AND I get guitar volume, so I don't need a pre-amp!!), BUT, nothing I do on the panel AFFECTS the guitar sound/signal in any way, (what HE did, I have NO idea!!); what I get coming out of the whole set-up is CLEAN guitar sound; no effects or change no matter what I do.
I've switched the LFO and envelope switches, (and the sliders above them), back and forth, but still nothing happens that changes the output FROM a clean guitar sound.
Hate to be a pain, but what's the NEXT step?? There has got to be something I'm NOT activating or don't have at the correct setting that switches the clean guitar signal onto a path I CAN affect with the rest of the panel.
Ah, once again please.....help??!

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 am

You're asking about synthesizer 101, basically.

Since there is no keyboard, there are no notes triggering the envelopes which are used to control the filter.
Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 6.48.41 PM.png

In the attached image from the manual you will see the Voltage Controlled Filter (VCF) in the upper left. Locate this. Now turn the Cutoff down and the Resonance up. Play a nice sustained chord and adjust those two sliders. It should produce sounds similar to a wah pedal.

Now below you will see a label for Voltage Controlled Filter and three sliders, each with a switch beneath it. Set the first and third sliders all the way off and the middle slider all the way up. Set the switch below it to LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator). You should hear the filter chnaging as if you were moving the cutoff yourself. Now go find the LFO itself, just to the left of the filter sliders. Adjust this and you will hear the rate of the wah effect changing. Mess around with this for a while.

Now go to the switch you set to LFO and set it to the other position, S+H, or Sample And Hold. and pull that slider all the way down. The controls for this are to the left, right below the LFO slider. Set the first slider for the S+H mixer off and the other slider all the way up. Set the switch below it to Noise. The next slider on the right you will see a switch marked LFO trigger/Key Trigger. Set it to LFO and set the slider above it all the way up. Now as you adjust the LFO rate slider you should hear the wah effect jumping around in a stepwise fashion. You will recognize this sound immediately.

Ever heard that Who song "Won't Get Fooled Again"? This is how the keyboard sound was created....Pete Townshend plugged an organ into his ARP synth to get that sound. Now you can get that sound with your guitar ;)

In both cases, mess around with all the sliders you've used and hear how they interact.

Once you are comfortable with that, come back and I'll discuss using the Envelope Generators with the Repeat function.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blackdavinci

Post by blackdavinci » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:55 am

meatballfulton:
Thanks again so, SO much!!! Yeah, you're right; this is synthesizer 101!! Like I said, I'm a serious newbie!! I'll try THESE instructions tonight and see what I get, then, by tomorrow morning, I'll be ready for "lesson #3"!!! ;) AS I'm doing this I'm reading the manual, but it gives the SERIOUS techno-speak explanation(s), so what YOU'RE telling me gives me clarity!!!
Thanks again for giving SO much of your time to explain all this!!! Believe me, I'm writing it ALL down in the margins of the manual!!
Thanks again and I'll be back tomorrow and tell you my results!!
Have a great evening and thank you, THANK YOU again!!

blackdavinci

Post by blackdavinci » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:55 pm

meatballfulton;
It WORKED!!! I got sound AND some sound manipulation!!! SOME of the other sliders worked, but I'm still not 100% on the other switches and settings, specifically the whole left side and lower left side. Don't worry, I'm STILL deep in the manual, but shoot me part 3 whenever you get a chance!!
Thanks again!!