What kind of synth/sound

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JoachimVA
What kind of synth/sound

Post by JoachimVA » Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi guys.
I’m about to record a cover version of Status Quo “Burning Bridges” but I just can’t seem to figure out what kind of synth that are playing the main theme/melody.
Can anyone hear what type is synth that he uses, or help me find a similar sound. I don’t care if it’s a hardware synth or even better a vst.
Hope anyone can point me in the right direction.

Ps here’s a link to the song:

Thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Re: What kind of synth/sound

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm

The synths are pretty buried in the mix. I hear a string-like sound and I hear a flute-like sound doubling the guitar melodies. It's based on a traditional folk song and the synths are trying to give the feel of bagpipes and/or tinwhistles. Neither are distinctive and could be just about anything.

Quo keyboard player Andy Bown mentions in a 1990 interview (2 years later) that he keeps a DX7 and M1 at home, however he's more of an Wurlitzer piano and B3 organ guy. Session man "Wix" Wickens (Paul McCartney, the Who, etc.) is also on the album and may be on that track. He's more likely doing the synths and he'd be using whatever was the hot new synths of the time.

Likely suspects: Yamaha DX7, Roland D50 maybe a Korg M1. Possibly a sampler.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.