[solved] Win10 wav bit depth - how to find?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
blueknob
Gear:ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.
[solved] Win10 wav bit depth - how to find?

Post by blueknob » Sun May 09, 2021 11:31 am

My question is more Win10 than the usual hardware based stuff. Remember I prefer32bit XP, I needed a Win10 as most software uses the 64bit platform. I'm also using linux now.

So far Win10 is "doing me head in" - messed up. Anyway in XP (right click on a wav file, Properties, second tab, Summary - Audio sample size) I can view sample bit depth but not so on Win10, the latter shows Bit Rate but I need to know if a wav is 16 or 24bit. Win10 seems to have switched that data off. I know wav file has the bit depth as meta data at the start of the files so it's just MS have decided not to show it.

My guess is there is a registry or better still some simpler way to get sample bit depth on a wav file.

Anyone know how? This is such a simple question that requires a lot of words, for something on XP was easy. I've done a web search and not got a sensible answer.
Last edited by blueknob on Mon May 10, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Re: Win10 wav bit depth - how to find?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 pm

I also find Windows treatment of audio file information to be a PITA. I either open the file in an app that does display bit depth or copy it to a Mac :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

blueknob
Gear:ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Re: Win10 wav bit depth - how to find?

Post by blueknob » Mon May 10, 2021 7:54 pm

Happy boy, I found out how to do it I asked my friend Sergey Tkachenko - I now get sample rate and bit depth in Details.