Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8 novice

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MrBrian
Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8 novice

Post by MrBrian » Mon May 31, 2021 6:25 pm

Having some trouble figuring out if this Mirage needs repair or if it is indeed working and I just don't know what I'm doing. Likely the case.

I have booted it up and have successfully sampled sounds and got them to play on the keys. =D>

I just can't figure out how to create sounds or really how the wavesample wavetables work. The terminology confuses me a bit also.

Sorry for the somewhat vague request for assistance, but does anybody know the easiest way to get sounds from this cool clunky old DSK-8 keyboard without having sound disks?

Thanks for the help in advance fellas, much appreciated
Brian J Siegel

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Re: Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8 novice

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 am

There are two manuals and you'll need both, along with MASOS floppies. The Advanced Sampling Guide is where all the detailed sampling info is.

Musician's Manual

Advanced Sampling Guide
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear:Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Ensoniq Mirage DSK-8 novice

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:24 pm

If sampling is working and you can save them to disk, everything is OK.
MrBrian wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:25 pm
I just can't figure out how to create sounds or really how the wavesample wavetables work.
Yes the terminology is confusing. As meatballfulton says you just have to work through the MASOS manual and try the examples. The confusion is that the manual kind of uses the terms wave and wavetable interchangeably because you can kind of do them with very short loops, and multiple cross-fades. But really wavetables are a different thing to sampling, you boot the Mirage with the Sound Process OS turning it into a 4 oscillator synth. Good luck finding a copy of that OS though!