Roland Jupiter-6 not booting

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
EvanM

Roland Jupiter-6 not booting

Post by EvanM » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:21 pm

I have a Roland Jupiter-6 that I bought new in 1982. It sat unused in its original box for 20 years and now it won't boot. All caps have been replaced and it has correct voltages everywhere. It turns on all its LEDs but, no sound. Could bitrot be an issue with its EPROMs after so many years of inactivity?

mima85

Re: Roland Jupiter-6 not booting

Post by mima85 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:09 pm

Does the synth react to panel buttons? For example, if you change patches you see all the LEDs setting up accordingly, or is completely frozen?

If the panel works then the main CPU is running, so the problem probably is just that the synth lost its patch memory, due to the internal battery being discharged after all those year. Replace the battery with a new one (I suggest to solder a CR2032 socket in place of the original lithium battery, and to fit a new coin-cell battery in there), reload the factory patches using the tape interface, and if nothing else is bad with the machine now your synth should be back in operation.

Otherwise, if the synth is completely frozen there's something bad with the CPU and/or its surrounding circuitry. Start by checking if the reset signal and the clock are being correctly generated. You're going to need an oscilloscope for that.