Roland JX-3P Button Issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
QuilTheGreat

Roland JX-3P Button Issues

Post by QuilTheGreat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi everyone!

So recently I've been cleaning out a disgustingly dirty old JX-3P synth to sell, but I seem to be having a problem with the Hold button on the top. The LED in the button keeps flashing crazily, and doesn't respond to being pressed at all.

The weird bit is that when I gently push the volume wheel down towards the keys, it stops flashing and acts normally, responding to being pressed appropriately like nothing's wrong. I'm not sure what to do about this- I don't know much about synths and usually stick to repairing older PCs and the like. It's only the volume wheel that does this, too. No other buttons or components do this, however much I push them. Also, the topmost PCB appears a little bit bent when I take it out.

I tried checking for broken traces and I don't see anything obvious wrong at all. Does anyone know what's going on? This is getting really frustrating, and I'm quite close to just reassembling it and selling it as not working/for parts.

Thanks!

upunkt

Re: Roland JX-3P Button Issues

Post by upunkt » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Check for dry solder joints. Reflow the Hold button and components around. A bent pcb is a very good reason for all kinds of issues. Sometimes it's not easy to track defective traces. Doublecheck that, it could always be a dry solder joint also.