Korg DDD-1

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Snarecrash

Korg DDD-1

Post by Snarecrash » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Hallo,
i need help with a Korg DDD-1 Drummachine i've just got.
After connecting to my mixer the first thing i've noticed is that the patterns and demo songs are not playing.
After doing a system reset there is still nothing happening when trying to run a demo song or any pattern.
Internal memory (if there is one) seems to be ok, as i did a testpattern that works.

But by far the most serious problem is that after about some minutes of activity it starts to make a very high annoying noise that slowly gets louder and louder.
I have connected the unit with the normal stereo outputs. The noise only appears on R-Out.
When i switch the drummachine off and on again the noise is either still there or gone till it starts again after few minutes. Maybe anyone have an idea what can cause the problem, what i can do about it?

Greetings,
Mark

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: Korg DDD-1

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 am

Hi Mark

Very likely the internal battery is dead and need to be replaced. That's why your DDD-1 is amnesiac. Also, when dead the memory is wiped. You'll need to reupload the factory presets (if you need them).

The noise you are hearing is either some transistors/op-amps at the ouput circuit. They die of old age. I don't have my service manual under the nose so I cannot tell what exactly to look after.But as mentioned, surely just the Right Output op-amp. But I'd check the other one while at it. I'd also check the electrolytic capacitors, they might be as died as h**l and are way under their nominal value. Check them becase they will come to haunt you with hums anytime soon. A power supply is not impossible but what you describe is typical op-amp problem.As they heating up they become noisier.

My 2 cents: have the unit goodly revised. Not that I fear very serious problems but when getting possession on a vintage instrument it's wiser to be safe than sorry.

Please don't venture under the hood if you don't have at least basic electronics knowledge & security knowledge. Many people injure themselves and can ruin a good instrument too

Hope that helps
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Thankyou!! I've now got more of an image what possibly causes the problems.
I'm a bit anxious about opening the unit all by myself though, because i don't really have a clue of electronics.
I've seen that you provide repairs, but you're in canada and i'm in germany. :(
So i hope to find a good repairservice in my region.

Please be patient with me as i have a couple more questions. :)
1) Is it possible that the unit broke while shipping cause of temperature issues?
Because currently it's very cold over here (-25 °Celsius) and when i've pulled the machine out of the box
it was like an ice cube.
2) Should the factory settings be restored after system reset or
do you have to put it on again external on the DDD-1?
3) You said that very likely the internal battery is dead, but how come that i could save my own pattern then?

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Mark

About the pattern you saved, I seem to have skipped it. It's possible that the battery is still good. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to save aything at all. If your patterns stay in memory, even after a long period of being powered off, chances are that the battery is still good. But have it checked please while at it. Below 2.5V it is recommended to replace it.

One thing about the battery, you only have 20 seconds to change it before the memory drains itself. It is possible that the previous owner took too much time so the memory erased itself.

About the system reset, I frankly don't remember. I don't think that a reset will bring back the presets. You certainly need to reupload the file. Please refer to the owner's manual because I am not 100% sure.

About the temperature: No! Canada has a*s-bitting winters and no instruments get such issues. Transistors/op-amps can operate on high and low temperatures. In fact, the lower the temperature, the less "noise". As mentioned, transistors/op-amps die of old age. Pretty frequent with classic & vintage synths. In fact, after 10 years it is not a surprise to have such problem.

Hope that helps
I wasn't doing publicity for my business btw. Just a signature :wink:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for the very good answers. You really helped me alot with my problem.
I think i came to the right place.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 am

OK, so I have had one of my Korg DDD-1's for about twenty years now and never got around to replacing the battery.

It never needed it because it had no trouble retaining settings, patterns, and songs.

Recently it lost all of its memory and I figured that the battery had finally gone dead so I opened th elittle door where the battery should be and guess what? There was no battery in there!

So my question now is how did it keep its memory all those years with no battery? I thought that was the purpose of the battery!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Let me clarify because I think I may have an idea what's going on.

One of my DDD-1's (the one with the sampling board) has what looks like a rechargeable battery under the little rectangular door in the bottom while the other one doesn't.

I thought I read that the memory battery is a CR2032. Is that right? If so, where is it located?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:32 am

Well, I guess I will just have to take the DDD-1 with me when I go to Tamps with my friend and his Nord Electro 2....

I hate paying money for this kind of thing but I don't want to disassemble the thing not knowign what I an getting into...

mr_william

Post by mr_william » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Has anyone tried to replace the rechargeable batteries that supply the sampler memory?
Have you had any luck? Any tips?
Much Obliged :)