TR 505 - No Closed Hats

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
whosecatisthis

TR 505 - No Closed Hats

Post by whosecatisthis » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:32 pm

I recently came upon a TR-505 at no cost. The sounds generally seem pretty okay, but the closed hi-hat doesn't work. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue as I wired it up midi slave to another drum machine and still couldn't get it to trigger. Has anyone had a similar issue with a Roland TR model--I'm sure there's great disparity in the circuitry for each, but maybe someone could help me out. Thx.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: TR 505 - No Closed Hats

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:09 pm

What is this the fourth thread about the TR-505? WHY lord WHY?

On the contrary, it is a hardware issue. How's your electronics know how? Get the service manual. This machine is a piece if c**p so it's perfect to learn electronics on. You could circuit bend it too.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Have you checked the volume level of the closed hi hat? I doubt there'd be an issue with the circuit if the open hat is sounding.

A buddy of mine used to "choke" cymbals on the TR-626 by setting the volume of one of the 4 cymbals (either the ride or bell) to 0 and programming that zeroed out cymbal sound a 16th note after the crash or china cymbal. I like doing that with the gated reverb kick drum on the Kawai R-100 by putting another one of the kicks with low velocity right after the gated kick.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

whosecatisthis

Post by whosecatisthis » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:31 pm

madtheory: It's all right. I'm interested in working on stuff and not afraid of breaking it, so it'd be a good place to start. Though, hopefully, Z's input will fix the issue.

Z: I actually have not. I'll start there when I get back with the unit. Also, that's a pretty good trick. So many s**t drum machines have such awful, ringing crash sounds that they need to be cut out.

Thanks for the input, I'll be in touch.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 pm

IIRC the 505 has no level controls. Defo no tuning or pan. Major limitation. Doesn't every other drum machine have a choke system? Mute groups or whatever? Kind of essential IMO.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 am

I've had an 505 where several drums wouldn't trigger. Took it apart and cleaned the inside: still didn't work properly. Then I did a factory reset (Power on while holding MODE and PATTERN GROUP KEY A ) et voila :-) everything worked fine again.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:09 am

OK, for nostalgic reasons I just checked the manual. I was wrong earlier, there is a level control. There are 5 level settings and 0 is off. Press the Level pad (top right hand corner) and then the instrument pad. I guess that RAM corruption could be caused by a low battery, which could require a factory reset.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes how did you guess prince fan would get in on the act...I would say velocity levels is the curse here..prob been set to zero as 5 levels like mad theory said..I have the manual to back that up..

whosecatisthis

Post by whosecatisthis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Hey, been really busy, but wanted to say thanks. It was just the volume settings, I did check out a few videos of the circuit bent 505's and people have done some pretty nasty stuff to them. Thanks for the help.

Marco Koeller
Gear: Akai S-2000, Akai S-1100, EMU ESI-4000, Roland D-50, Roland D-110, Roland JD-800, Roland TR-626, Roland TR-505, Roland MC-303, Korg DW-8000
Band: Smooth Genestar, Smooth

Post by Marco Koeller » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:00 pm

madtheory wrote:What is this the fourth thread about the TR-505? WHY lord WHY?

On the contrary, it is a hardware issue. How's your electronics know how? Get the service manual. This machine is a piece if c**p so it's perfect to learn electronics on. You could circuit bend it too.
But thats not the point. Its a little bit annoying to post a technical question and get back something like "Your gear is c**p, you can use it to bend circuits...".

Personally, i could say the same about Access Virus or Alesis A6. But i dont judge if somebody uses equipment which i personally dont like.

The TR-505 by Roland is cheesy, yes. But a Linndrum is also, if you ask me. Or the EMU SP-12, for example. Aphex Twin used the TR-505 on one of my favorite albums. And i personally like to use it besides the other gear. Because i like the rough sound of the TR-505.

Good sound does not come automatically from actual or expensive equipment, it comes from ideas!
Music is an universal language, spoke and understood by all....

Free audio netlabel http://www.cyan-music.com
Deep House and Dubtechno http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth
Lounge and Chillout http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth-genestar

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:13 am

You've completely missed my point, but that's ok :)

Marco Koeller
Gear: Akai S-2000, Akai S-1100, EMU ESI-4000, Roland D-50, Roland D-110, Roland JD-800, Roland TR-626, Roland TR-505, Roland MC-303, Korg DW-8000

Post by Marco Koeller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Ah okay. Maybe the irish humor is different to the german or american humor :lol: :P :roll:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:16 pm

I just hate the TR-505 because it's c**p, not because it's cheap :) Actually the prices are starting to get silly. Goddam hipsters...

And I think you'll find Aphex used a TR-626 (that snare is not in the 505) and judging from the reversing and tons of processing, he probably used samples not the machine itself.

Marco Koeller

Post by Marco Koeller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:20 pm

madtheory wrote:I just hate the TR-505 because it's c**p, not because it's cheap :) Actually the prices are starting to get silly. Goddam hipsters...
Thats a point i agree with you totally! 100%! For example, have a look at eBay. Every, really every cheap c**p is sold there for astronomic and fantastic, partly criminal prices. And thats not enough. No, everything there is titled like "CULT sampler", "CULT Must-Have Synth! Rare!" etc etc... Sometimes, when on safari on eBay, i dont have questions anymore.

Ah, as we´re talking about Hipsters:
madtheory wrote:And I think you'll find Aphex used a TR-626 (that snare is not in the 505) and judging from the reversing and tons of processing, he probably used samples not the machine itself.
Back in the 90s, when he released the legendary Analog Bubblebath Vol.1 and Vol. 2, i remember a studio report in the german magazin "Frontpage", where he showed his studio and equipment, and there was, besides other exotic stuff, also a TR-505. Also linked here on VSE: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/505.php

I use the TR-505, and in my opinion, this machine has its own charme, no doubt. Its cheesy, but look at Rolands new AIRA product line. Its cheesy, too. Or other plastic products nowadays. They´re not better than that cheap TR-505 :D
Last edited by Marco Koeller on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:52 am

Are you saying cheesy sound, or cheesy build quality?