Yamaha SY77---stuck buttons

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
thefonz003
Gear: Yamaha SY77
Korg DSS-1
Yamaha DJX
Novation MiniNova
Electrix Warp Factory
Akai MPK225
Various Softsynths
E-mu Mo'Phatt (wanting to sell)

Yamaha SY77---stuck buttons

Post by thefonz003 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:53 pm

My beloved SY77 still functions perfectly, but the "YES" button is partially receded (like, one corner) into the front panel, as is the button that goes between "YES" and "NO" (whatever word goes there was worn off before I got the synth). Does this take Superman-like electronic-disassembly skills to fix? I've tried to pull it back out but had no luck.

zakmartin

Re: Yamaha SY77---stuck buttons

Post by zakmartin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:28 pm

It's not a super easy fix, but it's do-able if you're not afraid to work your way through the front board by methodically disassembling the boards above it. Be sure to label all your connectors, pull the connectors off the boards from their bases (not the wires!) and don't use magnetic screwdrivers when you're working your way through the system. It's about as difficult as changing out a water pump on a car (if you're mechanically-inclined), though certainly not as dirty.

Replacement buttons can be had for a few cents from online retailers. Look for 6x6x4.5mm Panel PCB Momentary Tactile Tact Push Button Switch 4 Pin DIPs. It's a simple matter of de-soldering the broken button, and soldering in a new one. If you have the equipment to do that, then you're set. I highly recommend you use a solder station so that you can get your temperatures exact, and it doesn't hurt to use a heat sink. You can probably find a repair shop in your area to do the job for $100-$200 and they'll swap out the battery, floppy drive belt and backlight while they're in there.

I have two SY77s and I've had them both completely apart and back together in about an hour and a half.

By the way, there's no silk screen label between the Yes and NO buttons. the four other buttons in the Yes/No group are directional (up, down, left, right).