Hello

Synthheads discuss the not directly synth-related stuff.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines
Note: This forum is routinely purged. Topics will be deleted after 30 days with no replies. Think of "Off Topic" as a place to discuss what's on your mind, and have fun. If you feel a topic deserves to live on permanently, you should ask a Moderator if they would consider making it a "Sticky".
Okla

Hello

Post by Okla » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 am

I was doing some research on a musician that I've respected for quite a few decades, Edgar Froese, when a search returned a discussion on this forum entitled "Tangerine Dream Beach Scene Guitar?" from 2008.

Although I have very little talent in this regard -- and the closest instrument I've ever played is the piano -- I've been interested in synthesizers since I first heard Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, The Alan Parsons Project and Emerson, Lake & Palmer...so, in short, I've been interested in them for decades.

To be a bit more specific, I'd like to know how someone gets started with getting a basic understanding of the workings of synthesizers and, from there, I'd like to know how someone gets a basic start with playing one. Anyway, I didn't see a "Welcome New Member" board here, so I thought that I'd start here.

So, Hello to the Vintage Synth Explorer community! :bye:

KayBur

Re: Hello

Post by KayBur » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Hey! I am also new to this forum. I would like to ask. Did you learn to play the piano as a child? I'm just not a child anymore, but I really would like to learn how to play the piano, but I just can't muster up the courage. It seems to me that this is super-difficult.

Okla

Post by Okla » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Yes, KayBur, I learned the basics in my youth, but it never really inspired me as much as the artists I mentioned in the original post.

I do believe, however, that an internet search will garner some results on ways to learn playing the piano without starting from scratch. In fact, I was recently watching old Yamaha Motif synthesizer demonstration videos -- given by Bert Smorenburg (sp?) -- when I was interrupted by another video from a piano instructor who claimed to specialize in adult beginners.

Give it a try and let the thread know what you come up with. There may be others like you who wish to do the same thing.

Thank you for participating ~ Okla :D

Tooter
Gear: All Yamaha
WX11, WT11, DX7, TX81Z

plus various flutey sort of things
Band: No longer performing

Post by Tooter » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi another newbie here. I already typed one message but it either didn't get through newbie moderation or I didn't actually send it - don't know which.

Like Okla I've had a musical background but stopped piano lessons aged 11 and have basically just did the occasional simple 'party piece' after that before dropping keyboard completely. I've just a week or so ago started trying to follow an old book of pieces for adult beginners and am back to about at baa baa black sheep standard with two hands (gotta start somewhere)

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was to KayBur - learning the piano is a long job but some satisfaction can be had even in the early stages. As Okla says - just try a search on "piano lessons for adult beginners", find one you think you'll like and have a go.

Have fun
Toot

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am

Okla wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:41 pm
Yes, KayBur, I learned the basics in my youth, but it never really inspired me as much as the artists I mentioned in the original post.

I do believe, however, that an internet search will garner some results on ways to learn playing the piano without starting from scratch. In fact, I was recently watching old Yamaha Motif synthesizer demonstration videos -- given by Bert Smorenburg (sp?) -- when I was interrupted by another video from a piano instructor who claimed to specialize in adult beginners.

Give it a try and let the thread know what you come up with. There may be others like you who wish to do the same thing.

Thank you for participating ~ Okla :D
Hello. I have an idea to find a teacher for adults. Study individually in private. I do not consider classes via the Internet effective, because you need a person nearby who will correct and guide you. And I think that musical notation also needs to be studied if there is a desire to understand music and repeat a song or melody by ear.

Tooter
Gear: All Yamaha
WX11, WT11, DX7, TX81Z

plus various flutey sort of things
Band: No longer performing

Post by Tooter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm

KayBur wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am
Hello. I have an idea to find a teacher for adults. Study individually in private. I do not consider classes via the Internet effective, because you need a person nearby who will correct and guide you. And I think that musical notation also needs to be studied if there is a desire to understand music and repeat a song or melody by ear.
THat's probably your best idea if you are serious about learning. If you are lucky enough to have several teachers in your area, then try two or three for initial lessons and settle with the one you feel most comfy with - any good teacher won't mind you doing that.

Good luck, enjoy, and do tell us how you get on, please. It's always nice to know that another person is becoming a musician (however elementary).

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:29 pm

Tooter wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm
KayBur wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am
THat's probably your best idea if you are serious about learning. If you are lucky enough to have several teachers in your area, then try two or three for initial lessons and settle with the one you feel most comfy with - any good teacher won't mind you doing that.

Good luck, enjoy, and do tell us how you get on, please. It's always nice to know that another person is becoming a musician (however elementary).
Thanks for the recommendations. As a rule, I take all my activities seriously if I liked this lesson initially. If I don’t like the lesson, I’ll try another teacher. If it doesn't work at all, then it's probably not mine. I think to start training after more of the population has received their vaccinations. Still, I don't want to get sick myself and infect those with whom I contact.

alex441

Post by alex441 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:26 am

Welcome and hello too :thumbsup:

Subterfuge
Gear: Guitar, microphone
Band: The Nameless

Post by Subterfuge » Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 pm

Welcome! I'm a newbie here too :mrgreen:
:)