Synthesisers: technology vs composition

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X
Re: Synthesisers: technology vs composition

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:17 pm
The obsessive need for pitch perfect sequencers with randomizers, euclidean generation, probability, etc. might point to this. We may be in an era where new gear is created in an echo chamber with user feedback driving the ship rather than a singular designers vision.
The trend towards random music creation seems to be really peaking. I have as much fun as anybody else hitting the random button on an arpeggiator, using probability triggers in sequencers and building self-generating patches on a modular but I sure don't find it as musical as sitting down and working out a melody.

The current glut of inexpensive analog monosynths and CV instead of MIDI certainly qualifies for echo chamber status IMHO. Part of the echo chamber is the explosion of "Internet influencers". I remember the early days of SonicState with Shorn Rah and Nick before he had the fancy video setup. Then out of the blue there's loopop and Bo Beats plus a zillion other clickbait jockeys. If I subscribed to those channels I'd have FedEx dropping off new gear every three days :lol:

Boy, am I in grumpy old man mode today.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear:Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:07 pm

It's slightly maddening. I actually wrote that last track I linked specifically because I was totally unable, when I was offered a Kilpatrick Phenol in trade for some other gear, to find any demo that wasn't just generative bleeps and bloops. At least with the Kilpatrick crowd it's because they cater to Bay-area ambient noise organism types who legitimately like that stuff, but a quick look at YouTube makes it obvious that that's also the most conveniently low-effort way to mass-produce gear demos every time a new piece of kit comes out.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

meatballfulton
Gear:Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:22 pm

Once someone figures out how to load demo sequences into an Eurorack module, we'll hear that damn song in every modular video on YouTube. :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:46 pm

VtrPsckWrs wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Could also be entitled: "what's wrong with current electronic music".

Vintagesynth must be the ideal place to find musicians passionate about sound and creativity. Much of the personal music posted sounds impressive. Yet despite my ad on a few boards, especially this one (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114339), I get few answers, and it seems those that do contact me run away as soon as they realise some serious effort is expected.

I'd like to suggest this: electronic technology makes it easy to be satisfied with minimal effort, but what does it take to draw the listener in again and again? That's what we claim we can bring.

So my questions are:

- who shares our vision at least to an extent?

- who shares our ideal of hard work?

- who else feels limited by what's being commonly done and the endless repetition of formulas?

Aymeric
I think the problem with electronic music is that you don't need the same knowledge to create it as you do to write classical music. That is, even a person with very primitive thinking can create a melody that will be similar to one or several other tracks. But to create something fundamentally new, you need very creative thinking, the ability to notice the unusual in the ordinary, to feel the subtle moments.