Two new tunes

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.
barra
Two new tunes

Post by barra » Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am

Hi,

My focus over the last few months has been to finish what I've started. As I result I've actually managed to finish 3 tunes since December, having not completed anything for years. For my latest tune I wanted to focus mainly on structure, which I think is one of my weak points and a consequence of not finishing anything for years. I also wanted to try and finish the latest tune more quickly since I listened so much to the previous two tunes that I hated them by the time I was finished. :)

Anyway, this is a techno tune:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songIn ... D=14246912

The second tune is weaker in terms of structure but I had more fun programming synth patches :)

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songIn ... D=14219161

Would love to hear your feedback. Was really glad for the feedback I received here last time. :)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear:Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Two new tunes

Post by madtheory » Wed May 12, 2021 4:03 pm

I like the Techno one a lot! At first I felt the lead line could do with more development, but the structure is really great at doing that instead. It's groovy and catchy, nice work!

While listening I thought I'd sign up to SOundclick, but their license agreement allows them (unlike Soundcloud) to make money off your tracks!

"You hereby grant to us, and by the act of delivering Standard Program Material to us grant to us, a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display and digitally perform the Standard Program Material in whole or in part (including the right to create compilations which include your songs); "

So I decline to sign up.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear:Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm

The second piece, you're right. Structure not as good but I'd argue it is a more developed piece with greater potential. I'd try starting with those chords, then bring in the PWM lead parts, and keep that arpeggio in the background all the time (i.e. never on its own). Listen to Orbital/ Phil Hartnoll, he's amazingly good at structuring this kind of piece. Although I think this piece would work with a song type structure- ABABCAB ending. Something like that?

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri May 14, 2021 11:32 am

Sounds great! Well done for deciding to add the melodies. Do not give up what you started, you will be surprised at how much you could do. Although writing music is not an obligation, it cannot be done under compulsion.

barra

Post by barra » Tue May 18, 2021 11:44 am

madtheory wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:03 pm
I like the Techno one a lot! At first I felt the lead line could do with more development, but the structure is really great at doing that instead. It's groovy and catchy, nice work!

While listening I thought I'd sign up to SOundclick, but their license agreement allows them (unlike Soundcloud) to make money off your tracks!

"You hereby grant to us, and by the act of delivering Standard Program Material to us grant to us, a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display and digitally perform the Standard Program Material in whole or in part (including the right to create compilations which include your songs); "

So I decline to sign up.
Thanks again for your feedback! I'm going to keep focused now on completing stuff and try and stop focusing too much on the detail. It feels great to actually finish some pieces - and for people to like them. :) I haven't listened much to Orbital so I'll give them a listen. I'm listening to a producer called Dj Overdose at the moment who is brilliant but his music is out of my reach I think in terms of helping me with my own music.

barra

Post by barra » Tue May 18, 2021 11:48 am

KayBur wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:32 am
Sounds great! Well done for deciding to add the melodies. Do not give up what you started, you will be surprised at how much you could do. Although writing music is not an obligation, it cannot be done under compulsion.
Thanks KayBur! I seem to be getting the hang of making melodies but its tricky to create melodies that are functional with the composition as a whole. :)